Wednesday, April 1, 2009

The Middle America View


I chose to take the perspective from how I think that the people of Central America may view themselves in relation to North and South America. It seems like for most people in Central America the major industry is tourism, and that tourism is usually focused around the Caribbean Sea or the Gulf of Mexico. Therefore the people of Central America would be looking mainly to North America for their tourism industry, but also they seem to have a closer cultural tie to the countries of South America. I chose to make the map center on the Caribbean, because I feel that is where this Northern tourism industry, and Southern culture come together, and where the people of Central America place their focus.

I chose to turn the world "sideways" from how we normally view it, because I feel that Central America is not only a blending of two ways of life, but it also has it's own unique culture. I do not think that Central America exists because it was a transition area between North and South America, but because it has it's own culture, it's own unique geographical features, and its own history. That is why I wanted to lay the map on its "side." This way, no one part the Americas appears to be "over" another part. Every person in each North, Central, and South America is valuable, as is there culture.

1 comment:

  1. Heidi,
    Great blog; I always enjoy visiting yours! I especially like how you integrate pictures and maps into your posts. Also, you have kept current. Well done, and keep it up.

    ReplyDelete